I just looked at the calendar today and realized Halloween is right around the corner! I knew it was close, and I used to be able to tell how near a holiday was by the items in stores. However, since Halloween stuff has been out for a couple of months I totally just glance over that section in stores now.
I want to give you an option for all that extra candy. We plan on taking Munchkin and Peanut trick-or-treating. It is fun to see the kids all dressed up and since we go with friends it makes for a great night. Last year I think we only took Munchkin to about 20 houses one block in our neighborhood. I couldn’t believe all the candy she received! We allowed her to pick 10 pieces and the rest we sent to daddy’s work (ok after Rand McNally and I took about 5 of our favorites!). This year we are going to do something different.
For those of you who don’t know Rand McNally is in the Army Reserves. After spending about 5 years active duty he made the switch. During his 5 years he spent 15 months deployed to Iraq. So when I stumbled upon this program it instantly became something I wanted to do with the girls extra candy.
This year instead of sending the extra candy to work with Daddy we are going to take part in The Halloween Candy Buy Back program! It is a brilliant program that saves kids from excessive candy that can harm their teeth, parents from excessive calories, and give men and women in harm’s way something special!
Here’s how it works:
- Take your kiddos trick-or-treating… get lots of candy!
- Locate a participating dentist near you who will “buy” back kids’ Halloween candy (search is in the top right corner)
- Some of the things the Dentist might use to “Buy” the candy include cash, coupons, toothbrushes, lots more!
- Then the Dentist will send the candy to Operation Gratitude or other Military support groups
- Finally, the candy will be sent to Operation Gratitude to U.S. Military deployed in harm’s way